Southall Great Streets Phase II
Update: Below you’ll find concept designs for each of the spaces we’re looking at under Phase II os the Southall Great Streets Programme. We’re always open to your ideas and comments, so please feel free to contact us on email@example.com
With significant progress made in relation to a radical upgrade of the Broadway, the Partnership has turned its attention to the main north-south route linking both old and new Southall.
Nine public spaces were identified as having the greatest potential return on investment – a critical consideration when resources are under strain. Working with all our partners, it was agreed that this project should include the design and delivery work for the Southall Shopfronts project.
Including these key nine spaces with the shopfronts project allows everyone with a stake in Southall’s town centre to come together to talk about those improvements in a way which has the greatest benefit. Our view is that we need to focus on the Southall ‘experience’. This relates to creating an inviting, safe and even joyful environment for both those who come to Southall already (the retention of our existing visitors) and for those who might visit in the future (the attraction of new visitors).
For this to be successful, we all (the Partnership, businesses and the community) need to come together to actively enliven our streets and spaces with positive, inclusive and inviting activities. This builds very much on the Charter’s call for joint action: “we will, if you will”.
This project will involve consultation on what people want to see in the spaces in Spring-Summer 2013, with detailed designs being prepared in Summer-Autumn 2013, before going on site in Autumn-Winter 2013. Further information will be provided on this page.
A presentation from the first public meeting (25/03/13) is available here.
Stage C (Concept designs) uploaded on the website (12/07/13)
Below, we present information on the nine locations, which will be updated at each stage in the development of the project. For most of the spaces, or points, the stages are:
- Base Drawings (the site as it is today): these are being used as an engagement tool with businesses and public to understand the detailed issues in the places we’re aiming to improve
- Initial/Concept Proposals (RIBA C): these present ideas for change based on the architects interpretation of the site and on their understanding of what matters to those who use our high streets
- Detailed Designs (RIBA D): at this stage the detailed designs will set out what we propose to implement
The nine locations and associated documents are set out below:
- Southall Park entrances
- Old Odeon (Lidl forecourt)
- South Road Promenade (in front of Quality Foods/Iceland)
- Southall station way-finding (entrance to Old Southall)
- Base Drawing (not issued – likely to be more about way-finding as you exit the station)
- Initial Proposals (issued)
- Detailed Designs
- Southall Green Garden (in front of St Anselm’s Church)
- The Green (in front of Manor House)
- Dominion Corner (in front of Dominion Centre)
- Base Drawing (issued)
- Initial Proposals (issued – please note that due to their proximity the drawing for The Green also includes Dominion Corner)
- Detailed Designs
- King Street Corner (around St. John’s Old Church)
- Nortwood Road Square (corner of King Street/Norwood Road)